Depending on your history and how you got into InfoSec you may or may not of been exposed to the world of developer testing, if you did I am sure you have many unhappy memories of arguing why “real” data should not be used in the testing world, and if like me you have horror stories that came as a result.
Anyway less about memories, the reason I thought this would be a relevant post is that in your social engineering activities you will often have a requirement to create various fake accounts, fake ID’s, and other fake data that looks and potentially even passes as credible data in your pursuits. This can be done manually, and depending on the circumstances can be a necessity but when you have been doing this for many years you can start to run out of ideas when it comes to these simple things, so thats when a fake data generator comes in handy.
So below I thought I would share a couple of the generators that I tend to refer to from a social engineering context, or if playing with scammers and even provides a good resource to recommend to the dev guys you may encounter at report time. Stating the obvious, but all data created is not real, its fake and I am not responsible for however you decide to use this data.
- Data Fake Generator – Identities, Personal Info, Credit Card Numbers, Passwords, ISBN, Text 2 Image.
- Get Credit Card Numbers – Credit Card Numbers surprisingly 🙂
- User Info Gen – Identities, Personal Info, Credit Card Numbers, Passwords, Email Addresses
- Fake Name Generator – Identities, Personal Info, etc
- Doogal – Fake UK Postcode Generator
- Random Profile – Identities, Personal Info with good coverage for UK, America and Asia
- Random User – Identities, Personal Info, etc
- UI Faces – Profile Pic Generator
- Fake Phone Text – Create fake iPhone style messages
- Snapsr – Create fake SnapChat images
- Simitator – Fake Facebook Posts & Chats, Fake Yahoo Posts, Fake Twitter Messages
Like my other lists I will continue to grow and maintain this as I remember and stumble across new resources. If you have a recommended resource leave a comment and I can review and add to the list as appropriate.